As the leaves start to change and the air becomes crisp, home maintenance might not be the first thing that comes to mind. Seasonal coffees? Yes. Halloween costumes? Yes. Pumpkin…everything? Yes.
October, though, is just the right time to take care of important seasonal maintenance around your home. It’s hard to believe, but the season’s first freeze is just around the corner. The following list of tips and tricks will help get everything set for winter.
- To prevent a freeze, remember to flush out the sprinkler system. It’s also important to disconnect garden hoses from exterior faucets.
- While you’re at it, aerate the lawn to help it germinate for spring.
- Trim back bushes, tree limbs, and other plants.
- Arrange any necessary winter maintenance for the landscape
- Clean out the gutters, pool, and any outdoor fountains.
- Clean out the home’s air ducts and dryer vents. Mark your calendar to do this in the spring as well.
- Stock up on key winter supplies (such as brownie ingredients!), gear, and equipment.
- Check window seals and caulked areas.
- Extra credit: don’t forget to clean off ceiling fans and light fixtures.
Now that you are prepared, treat yourself to some Halloween candy! You’ve earned it.
McStain promotes year-round home sustainability. Our neighborhoods and communities, as well as the world around them, are a priority. Our philosophy of McStainability is designed to promote optimal health and happiness of our wider neighborhood.